Tuesday, June 19, 2012


8 DAYS= 7 takeoffs 7 landings; 1 graduation, 1 house moving, 2 bbqs and 1 wine tasting
yeah, it was worth it!

As you might have read from my last blog, I was on my way back to the states to see my daughter graduate from Central Washington University. Mission Accomplished, but boy that was a fast trip. I would not suggest only taking that short of a trip.

On this trip I pulled up my big girl panties and stayed at an unknown hostel in Quito. My friend had suggested it, and because I was trying to budget this trip a bit tighter, I thought it was a good plan. $14 a nite beat $40 hands down. Here is their link for more info. http://www.magicbeanquito.com/

This hostel is in the Mariscal district (translation... party party party). It is a fun area, but if you want to sleep without earplugs get one of the rooms on the back and ask for a private room. I loved staying here. It has character, WIFI in your room, the food was excellent, everything was clean, and even though I opted for a shared room (4 beds) it was quiet and I only had one room mate, one of the nites. Poor guy had to listen to me trying to get my stuff out at 4 am in the morning. 

I arrived in Seattle at 9:30 pm, and Kelsey was there to take me over the mountains back to Ellensburg.. I was a bit nervous. Dark, no one else on the road, in a volkswagon bug, going 70 miles an hour.. I know that sounds reasonable and totally safe. But think about it. I have not been in a car that has made it up to 35 in the last year! It was a bit nerve wracking at first.

Kelsey and her friends had a nice celebration at the local watering hole on Thursday nite. I was invited and treated to the customary... "tell us all about Kelsey".. I only told one story and was home by 10, I believe Kelsey was very relieved.

The next day was Friday, the day we were going to get a big lead on packing up her house..I was up, ready to go.. Kelsey, not so much. She had closed the bar.

My long time friend, Tawnee, came down on Friday nite to help celebrate. She has been part of Kelseys life since she was about 4 yrs old. So she was not going to miss this big event!

My brother Jim, and sister-in-law Lynda came and brought my mom along too!

The graduation went smoothly but very windy and cold. I think with the wind chill it was about 30 degrees.

After a gathering for lunch we all pitched in and got Kelsey moved, it took 2 SUV's, a pickupbed and 12 ft trailer and two cars packed to the gills to get her belongings back to the Tri-Cites.. and we left some furniture and clothes in Ellensburg!

I had 2 days in the Tri-Cities after the graduation. I attended a party for Kelsey, a BBQ for me and went wine tasting with the kids. Inbetween I tried to get all my stuff together to come back to Ecuador.

Even though it was a hectic time and not enough time to really enjoy with all those I wanted. I was very happy to have been able to hang out with my mom, brother, sister-in-law and most assuredly my kids!


  1. Giggling about the 70mph...

    Charlotte NC

    1. A fellow Charlottean keeping an eye on Ecuador...thinking about moving there or just enjoying Karen's great posts - or both?

  2. I am looking forward to visiting soon! Love your posts.

    1. Thanks for reading. Hope to hear from you when you get ready to visit!